Hot hatch with turbocharged petrol engine below RM100k?
Today, Ford Malaysia has launched the new Ford Fiesta Sport+ 5-door with 1.0L EcoBoost engine. The car priced at RM93,888, the new Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost is available in Malaysia in the five-door Sport+ variant in three popular colours – Artic White, Panther Black and True Red. It is now available at all showrooms across Peninsular Malaysia and will make its way to Sabah and Sarawak in June 2014.
Ford’s patented 3-cylinder 1.0L EcoBoost engine is big on power, torque and refinement. The EcoBoost technology combines direct fuel injection, turbocharging and variable valve timing that enable this downsized engine to deliver the power and performance of a conventional 1.6L engine with class-leading fuel efficiency and emissions levels.
The quiet and smooth-running 1.0L EcoBoost engine produces 125 PS of power and peak torque of 170 Nm. With 25 percent fewer moving parts, the three-cylinder EcoBoost delivers both class-leading fuel efficiency of 5.3L/100 km and CO2 emissions of 121g/km.
Tiny enough to fit on a sheet of A4 paper or stow away in an airplane overhead luggage compartment, the 1.0L EcoBoost is the smallest of Ford’s growing global family of EcoBoost engines. The 1.0L EcoBoost is the third EcoBoost engine Ford has introduced in Malaysia.
Replacing large engines with smaller-displacement EcoBoost engines is one way Ford is delivering on its green technology commitment, which balances capability with environmental responsibility with an estimated fuel economy improvement by more than 20 percent and 15 percent less carbon dioxide emissions.
“Customers are going to be pleasantly surprised by how the smallest member of our EcoBoost engine family punches far above its weight,” said David Westerman, managing director, Malaysia and Asia Pacific Emerging Markets, Ford Motor Company. “Customers will immediately notice and appreciate how quiet the engine is, how quickly the car accelerates and most importantly how little fuel it needs.”
The award-winning 1.0L EcoBoost engine was named “International Engine of the Year” – one of the auto industry’s most prestigious awards globally – for both 2012 and 2013.
The new Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost offers the most comprehensive safety package in its class, including seven airbags – front driver and passenger, side, curtain and driver’s knee airbag.
Key safety and smart features available in the new Ford Fiesta 1.5L variant are also found in the new Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost. These include:-
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Traction Control System (TCS) – helps customers remain in control of the car at all times, especially on slippery roads
- Hill Launch Assist – helps drivers make a perfect hill start whether it’s uphill or downhill, by holding the car for up to three seconds on the slope
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Ford SYNC™ – hands-free and seamless connectivity which allows drivers to answer phone calls and select music from devices connected via Bluetooth® or USB as well as listen to text messages by simply using voice commands. This helps drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times.
- Rear Parking Aid with Park Pilot – keeps drivers from backing into obstacles they cannot see when reverse parking as well as during parallel parking
- Rain-Sensing Wipers – an optical sensor located behind the windscreen that detects the rain and automatically activates the wipers for the driver
- Smart Keyless Entry with Ford’s Push Button Start
“The Fiesta is key driver of the company’s successful product-led transformation. We are confident that the new Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost will continue to attract even more new-to-Ford customers, with its unmatched combination of quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart technologies, head-turning looks and value for money,” said Westerman.
As with all Ford passenger vehicles available in Malaysia, the new Fiesta comes with Ford’s Extended Service Plan (ESP) to provide added peace of mind to customers at no extra cost. Ford ESP is a free three-year or 60,000km maintenance programme that covers parts and labour free of charge.
In addition to routine inspection and maintenance services, Ford’s ESP covers free replacements for selected wear-and-tear items, including spark plugs, shock absorbers, engine belts, brake pads and wiper blades.