Hong Kong driver Marchy Lee of Audi Ultra wins in Round 3 and leading the championship title of the 2012 Audi R8 LMS Cup from the third position pole this afternoon at the Zhuhai International Circuit, China. Second by Hong Kong’s Adderly Fong of KLM Team and China’s Sun Zheng of Team Erdos Xinan. For Amateur Drivers Cup, Taiwan’s Jeffrey Lee of Pauian Archiland J-Fly Racing took fourth position and claimed first in the non-professional category.
When the race starts, Malaysia driver Alex Yoong of Audi GQ lose out by the end of the first lap was third with a four-car battle taking place right behind him – Jeffrey Lee, Team Betterlife driver Wang Jian Wei, Sun and Team Zhe Jiang Aotong driver Han Han swapped places a number of times, catching and piling the pressure on Yoong. The five-car group, sometimes three abreast, was covered by just two seconds.
Moreover, the Hong Kong celebrity driver Aaron Kwok spun following an attempted overtaking manoeuvre and hit the barrier. Immediately, Aaron’s car bonnet flew out, radiator burst out and oil leak after the collision. Seconds later, Team Chengdu New Elements driver Hua Xia Wei also spun and hit the barrier. Both cars retired from the race after absorbing heavy impact and both drivers are uninjured.
In the 4.3km track at Zhuhai International Circuit, Marchy manage to clocked total 36:03.108 with fastest time of 1:38.078.
According to Rene Koneberg – Head of Audi Sport customer racing China during a round table session with International Media, he mentioned that the Audi R8 LMS Cup has already attracted attention far beyond China and Asia. As the Audi’s first-ever one-make series, the Audi R8 LMS Cup opens many opportunities to its drivers, both to amateurs and professionals. Due to strong demand and interest of the Audi R8 LMS Cup in this region, the automaker is facing challenges to facilitate more cars into the race in short-term. In addition, Audi has no planned schedule for the Audi R8 LMS replacement model till date.
Results for Round 3 – Audi R8 LMS Cup at ZIC
1. Marchy Lee (HK) Audi Ultra – 36:03.108
2. Adderly Fong (HK) KLM Team – +1.709
3. Sun Zheng (CN) Team Erdos Xinan – +3.058
4. Jeffrey Lee* (TW) Pauian Archiland J-Fly Racing – +3.931
5. Han Han (CN) Team Zhe Jiang Aotong – +1.182
6. Alex Yoong (MY) Audi GQ – +19.645
7. Bryon Tong* (HK) AK Racing – +4.914
8. Hugues Ripert* (HK) Spark Motorsport – +10.372
9. Clifford Chen* (TW) J-Fly Racing Team – +2.054
10. Daniel Bilski* (HK) Audi Driving Dreams – +0.224
11. Zhang Ran* (CN) Audi Castrol – +1.734
12. Adrian Fu* (HK) FuSpeed Racing – +14.006
13. Sun Chao^ (CN) P D Group Team – 1 lap – DND
14. Wang Jian Wei^ (CN) Team Betterlife – 5 laps – DND
15. Aaron Kwok*^ (HK) Team Audi R8 LMS Cup – 13 laps – DND
16. Hua Xia Wei^ (CN) Team Chengdu New Elements – 13 laps – DND
* Amateur Drivers
^ Did Not Finish (DNF)
The Round 4 of the Audi R8 LMS Cup will be happening tomorrow at Zhuhai International Circuit. Moving forward, the Rounds 5 & 6 will be held at Ordos International Circuit in Inner Mongolia on 17-19 August 2012. Stay with us for more quick updates about Audi R8 LMS Cup live from Zhuhai, China. More photos will be followed once our man is back home.